Gardening to-do list for February/March
Feb./Mar. 2012 California Bountiful magazine
It's time to gear up for spring.
- Spray apricot trees to prevent brown rot. If you haven't applied a dormant spray, do so before buds start to swell.
- Trim damaged wood from fruit trees.
- Prune clematis vines.
- Give the inside of the house a lift: Cut branches of early spring flowering shrubs and bring them indoors. Try forsythia, cherry, crab-apple, whatever you see blooming.
- Plant (either seeds or purchased plants) snapdragons, Shasta daisy, bleeding heart and stock.
- In the vegetable garden, plant Jerusalem artichoke, strawberries and rhubarb. Direct seed radishes, beets and chard. Start peppers and tomatoes indoors.
- Camellias and azaleas are in bloom. Choose the ones you like best for your garden.
- Prune and fertilize spring flowering shrubs after bloom.
- Feed camellias, roses, annual flowers and berries with a slow-release fertilizer.
- Keep pulling weeds.
- Aphids? Hose them off with a strong, but fine spray of water or use insecticidal soap.
- Watch for signs of slugs and earwigs. Handpick at night or use bait. Make sure to use one that is not toxic to pets and children.
- Shop for citrus trees.
- Over-seed bare spots in the lawn.