Six must-have cell phone numbers
July/Aug. 2008 California Country magazine
By John Valentine
Take a few minutes right now to tap these important numbers into your contact list.
These days, you can store practically all of your computer information on your cell phone—from your entire music collection to the latest dog-riding-a-skateboard video. You can also use this mobile device as a safety net in case of emergency. Take five minutes right now to tap these important numbers into your contact list so you’ll be prepared if something happens.
- ICE: This number, which stands for “in case of emergency,” should be your emergency contact—a parent, spouse, close friend or whomever you want notified if something happens to you. Many emergency responders and hospital personnel know to look for this number.
- Home: If someone finds your lost cell phone, he or she can call your home phone number to let you know your phone is intact. Emergency personnel may also try it as an alternative number if there is no answer at the ICE number.
- Police: In case you have an emergency or witness someone else who needs help, you can notify your local police station about the situation more rapidly if you already have the number stored in your phone.
- Highway patrol: See a motorist stranded by the side of the road? Be a good Samaritan and call the California Highway Patrol for assistance.
- Insurance company: If you are in an accident, you can notify your insurance company right away. Allied’s toll-free number for claims is 1-800-282-1446; Nationwide’s toll-free number for claims is 1-800-421-3535.
- Your motor club: Membership in an auto club can get you out of a jam. Store their toll-free number in your cell phone in case you lock your keys inside the car or get a flat tire.
A word about 9-1-1 and cell phones...
While technology continues to improve, many wireless phones do not offer a way to determine a caller’s location. If you call 9-1-1 in an emergency, be sure to mention your location, your phone number and what has happened.
John Valentine is director of sponsor relations for Nationwide Insurance. He can be reached at 800-552-2437 ext. 4393 or firstname.lastname@example.org.