No-cost upgrades: Making the most of your health plan
Jan./Feb. 2008 California Country magazine
By Sam Cole
Health Net offers tools and services to help members of the California Farm Bureau Members' Health Insurance Program.
At Health Net, we're about more than just health care coverage. Sure, comprehensive benefits are essential, but so is making it easy for people to make the most of their health. That's why we invest in tools and services to help members of the California Farm Bureau Members' Health Insurance Program do just that. And of course we provide them at no extra cost—because when members have the resources to be proactive about their health, they tend to be healthier, which in turn leads to lower costs for everyone.
We have trusted sources of health and medical information to make it easier to stay healthy, balance the demands of work and family, and manage emotional or financial challenges. Located within the Health Net member Web site (www.healthnet.com), these tools include powerful and easy-to-use resources available to all PPO plans for individuals and families as well as Medicare Supplement members:
- Free programs on weight management, smoking cessation, preventive care and nutrition.
- Online Health Risk Questionnaire for identifying possible health risks, such as heart disease and diabetes. Members receive a personalized health profile to share with their doctor.
- Personal Health Record that helps members take their medical records wherever they need them. This tracking tool captures claims data and self-reported data from a member's Health Risk Questionnaire as well as immunization and test records and results.
- Condition centers, which provide reliable information and news on the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of common health problems. Centers include self-help programs for overall health, insomnia, stress and more.
- Mental health support for depression, alcohol abuse, eating disorders or other emotional health concerns.
- Health calculators to monitor heart rate, body mass index and number of calories burned during favorite activities as well as tracking tools for preventive health, fitness and wellness.
- Discounts on acupuncture, chiropractic and massage therapy plus health-related items such as fitness club memberships, vitamins, eyewear, fitness apparel, weight management programs and more.
Additionally, for PPO health plan members (commercial line/non-Medicare Supplement), Health Net's exclusive offering called Decision Power provides decision-support resources and online tools to help members make the health care decisions that are right for them. Through Decision Power, members can:
- Talk to health coaches, who are trained professionals such as nurses, respiratory therapists and dietitians. They are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to help members understand available treatment options and provide useful information and decision-making support.
- Obtain and watch support videos that show how others have chosen different treatment options for a variety of health conditions ranging from lower back pain to breast cancer. These real-life stories include insights from physicians.
- Access information resources, such as Healthwise Knowledgebase, an online encyclopedia; HEAR Audio Library, which contains information on more than 300 health topics; and Health Crossroads Web Modules, which weigh the pros and cons of various treatments.
If you are a Health Net health plan member through the California Farm Bureau Members' Health Insurance Program or would like more information, call Member Services PPO at 800-839-2172 or Member Services Medicare Supplement at 800-926-4178.
Sam Cole is a regional vice president for Health Net of California Inc. He can be reached at 916-935-1215 or email@example.com.