Q and A with 'The Nutrition Professor'
May/June 2014 California Bountiful magazine
Story by Tracy Sellers
Photos by Matt Salvo
Love the food that loves you back
More online: Pasta party, nutrition tips and TV segments
California Bountiful TV host Tracy Sellers, right, stirring things up with Timaree Hagenburger.
"I met Timaree Hagenburger in 2012, and you might say it was love at first bite—of her Mediterranean spread with cannellini beans, that is! Connecting with this college nutrition professor and registered dietitian has been life-changing not only for me, but I hope for viewers of California Bountiful TV as well. Her nutrition information is as eye-opening as her food is mouthwatering. And it doesn't hurt that she's one of the nicest people I've ever met. So here's my chance to introduce you to California Bountiful contributor and my friend, Timaree Hagenburger."
— Tracy Sellers
California Bountiful TV Host
How did you get into nutrition?
Growing up in an Italian family, not only did we show our love with food, but the heart of our house has always been our kitchen. When I realized that I could combine my passion for food with the science of nutrition and fitness, I was thrilled and never looked back.
Why is nutrition so important to you?
I put my whole heart into sharing my passion for food that not only tastes amazing, but actually supports optimal health, physical activity that feels good and gets results, and key habits for creating the life you love. I live what I teach, and feedback from students, corporate wellness clients and friends about changes that I have inspired gives me goose bumps and fuels my soul.
What's it been like working on the California Bountiful TV show?
It is a dream come true to reach so many through my segments with you. Having access to phenomenal, California-grown produce, from dates to walnuts and kiwis to collards, is such a gift. We have a blast sharing tips for making the best choices at the market and then bringing viewers right into my kitchen to guide them through delicious, yet simple recipes—while sneaking in a few tricks of the trade to ensure success.
Do you have a motto about food?
I just want to educate people about choices. I'm not saying one thing is better than another; I'm just giving you information for you to make your own choices. I tell my students: Every bite, every sip, every step, every thought is a choice and our opportunity to upgrade our quality of life.
Pasta plus sauce plus veggies equals party
A make-your-own pasta party is always a hit with guests of all ages at dietitian Timaree Hagenburger's home.
"Everyone gets their own personalized pasta dish to enjoy, with opportunities to experiment with a variety of ingredients that they may not have thought to put together," she said. "Not only is it fun, interactive and delicious party fare, but with a little prep during the weekend, it can come together in just a few minutes, any night of the week."
In her own words
Timaree Hagenburger is a registered dietitian with a master's degree in public health. She also is a nutrition professor and a food lover who likes sharing tips and tricks on how to enjoy fresh California fruits and vegetables. Her enthusiasm is contagious! Here's a sample:
- Simple choices, made on a daily basis, can add up to a major health upgrade, truly adding life to our years, not just years to our lives!
- I draw from my experience and insatiable desire for learning to translate the most relevant research into action items, clearing away the clutter and simplifying the path to making the best choices for health and happiness.
- Taking good care of yourself isn't about sacrifice or cheat days. It is about making simple choices every day that add up over time. It is about choosing to be healthy and finding the foods that you love that also love you back.
- For me, it is all about translating the research findings into understandable language, providing relatable examples and detailing practical strategies for incorporating the best choices into a "new normal."
- I love to help people gain the knowledge, skills and confidence to choose well and upgrade your health on every level: what you drink, what you eat, how you move and what you think... it is truly a quality-of-life upgrade!
- You may not realize how fun, simple, delicious and affordable eating well could be!
'The Nutrition Professor' on California Bountiful TV
Shows featuring dietitian Timaree Hagenburger are among the most popular. Find out why!